We love seeing the talent that lands in our inboxes each week and it was our lucky day when an application from Kayla Sutton and K-Sut Studio dropped in. Kayla,…
We love seeing the talent that lands in our inboxes each week and it was our lucky day when an application from Kayla Sutton and K-Sut Studio dropped in.
Kayla, a multidisciplinary artist with a history in the graphic design and fine art field, based in Mullumbimby produces art-based tees featuring her own designs. Here we chat to Kayla about the inspiration behind her business and background.
Tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am an emerging artist who grew up in Melbourne but spent the last three years in the Inner West of Sydney before moving to the Northern Rivers area where I am living now. My practice is distinctly illustrative but transfers across print making, painting and mixed-media methods.
What is your creative background/qualifications?
I am a multidisciplinary artist with a history in the graphic design and fine art field. Academically speaking, I had a long run of trialling three different degrees from fashion design and graphic design at RMIT to a double degree in Arts/Social Science and Fine Art at UNSW before settling into a Bachelor of Fine Art at UNSW in Sydney. I have done some freelance design work over the years but have focused mostly on the development of my visual art practice overall.
Is this business your sole income or you do have a full-time gig?
It is a small business that has been officially running for about a month so it's very early days so the business has consumed a lot of my time and energy but it is far from being my my sole income yet. As with a lot of artists, I have a casual job which pays the bills. I am also a recipient of the New Business Incentive Scheme otherwise know as NEIS which is a government funded incentive for new businesses.
Tell us about your brand name, how did this come about:
K~SUT is a shortening of my name (Kayla Sutton) and is an important identifier since the brand is linked to my artwork and I have used “KSUT” as a signature shortening to sign my work for some time. I decided to add “Studio” onto the end to communicate that the products come as a result of working creatively within a studio environment and to identify that the business comes as an extension of my art practice predominantly.
What products or services are included within your range:
At the moment I am solely offering art-based products.
The idea is that I am bringing art into the everyday by offering functional items that doubles as a piece of art.
With my t-shirt range, I am doing limited edition screen prints which means there's only so many of a particular product. I'd rather do this than mass produce an item because the product reduces in value otherwise.
What inspires you creatively?
Much of my artwork is fluid and illustrative in style and generally incorporates the human body. I am both fuelled and inspired by reflections on nature and the Anthropocene, suburban life, technology and social media, feminist issues, psychology and mental health struggles.
Do you work from home, an office or creative workspace?
I have a small art studio but occasionally work from home depending on the day and what I need to get done.
Do you implement any sustainable practices within your company?
Yes, I use Earth Positive t-shirts which are 100% organic cotton and made entirely from renewable energy from wind and solar power. My tote bags are made from 100% recycled material, 60% of which is pre-consumer organic cotton and the remaining 40% is made from locally recycled plastic bottles. All my products are also printed with eco-friendly water based inks.
Why did you choose TVM as a platform for your business?
I chose TVM since it is art, design and fashion oriented and my business fits entirely within this category. I also can see that there is a high standard of quality present at TVM which is great.
Where’s your favourite local coffee haunt?
I live in Mullumbimby and there's a lot of good coffee but lately I've been going to Branches cafe in the industrial estate. Great coffee and the industrial setting reminds me of the Inner West of Sydney, ha!
Favourite way to unwind?
Go to the beach or chill at home with a glass of wine and some good tunes
Websites or profiles you’re loving for business inspiration right now?
Play on Play Studio (POP) design studio in Melbourne and Good Publishings, vintage book seller in Byron Bay.